Fiona Dobson describes a rural home at Penston Gardens:
The cottage was built in 1676. It was occupied by the Dobson family from 1890-1997. The walls of the cottage are three feet thick. Originally earthen floors, they are now either stone or floorboarded. The original red pantiled roof was replaced using wooden Canadian Shingle tiles in 1949 - in the years after the second world war, materials were in short supply, therefore the choice of tile was based on availability. The wooden tiles are at present still on the roof, although in a very poor condition. A scullery and toilet were added to the original building in 1930 with cold running water. Hot water was added in 1942, and electricity in 1956. The fire, a Lothian Range, was fitted in December 1940 replacing an existing smaller range. The range fire is the only source of heating the house and water.
Entering the house by the back door leads directly into a small scullery with a lino tile covered stone floor. Underneath the window is a porcelain sink with draining boards on either side. Next to the sink is an electric cooker. Against the opposite wall is a twin tub washing machine. Leading off the scullery is the toilet, comprising toilet pan and wooden dresser used for storage. A door leads off the scullery into a hallway, stone floored, carpeted with rugs. On the right is a shelved pantry concealed by a curtain for storing food and utensils. Next to the pantry is the bedroom. A square room furnished with a double bed, wardrobe, two chests, a large dresser, bookcase and chair. The wooden floorboards are carpeted. There is a double window on the south-facing wall. The living room is square with a single window facing north and a double window facing south. The fire range is situated opposite the entrance door on the east wall.
© 2004 Fourth Statistical Account of East Lothian Society